Saturday, April 14, 2012

Agar-agar With Coconut Milk


I'm making agar-agar jelly for the first time. My sister in law used to make this, so I asked her for the recipe. Basically her measurement is 8 bowls of water for a packet of 25 grams agar-agar powder. Usually she makes 4 bowls of water with half a packet of agar-agar powder into the red colored agar-agar jelly as the bottom layer. While the other half packet of agar agar powder to mix with coconut milk to make the top layer.

As for my version, I didn't use the full packet of agar-agar powder. All the ingredients was just estimation, so no recipe sharing for this post. What I'm going to share is the secret of making this traditional agar-agar jelly with full of fragrant. The first secret for the bottom layer is to boil water with lots of pandan leaves. So, the jelly is infused with natural pandan fragrant. The second secret is for the coconut milk layer. Add some salt to the mixture. A pinch of salt will bring out the coconut taste to a higher level. It's so magical. This secret works for all desserts with coconut milk.

Enjoying a cup of cold agar-agar jelly on a hot afternoon is a kind of happiness.

8 comments:

Nuridah said...

Hi

your agar-agar looks mouth-watering and beautifully done with gorgeous picture.

Priya Suresh said...

Wat an excellent and super irresistible dessert.

WendyinKK said...

Northerners seem to prefer salt with coconut milk. Whenever I eat Tongsui in Penang, I always leave the whole bowl after one sip. I'm not used to it.

Noob Cook said...

the aroma must be unbeatable with the pandan leaves and coconut milk. looks very yum.

daphne said...

i love the colours of this agar agar!! I love agar so easy to make desserts with it! You did it!

tigerfish said...

The pandan and coconut aroma infused in this dessert must be so alluring.

kitchen flavours said...

Yum! Can I have two please!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Thanks for sharing the tips! yes, adding a pinch of salt bring out difference level of coconut taste.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails