Friday, April 11, 2008
Lotus root is very low in saturated fat and cholesterol. It is also a good source of dietary fiber, thiamin, vitamin B6, phosphorus, potassium, copper and manganese, and a very good source of vitamin C. It is an ideal food for maintaining optimum health.
Lotus root soup is one of my favourite soup. I'm a lazy working lady that usually boil soup in the slow cooker. However, my personal opinion is this soup tastes better if cooks in pot or double boiler.
Lotus Root Soup
1. 300g lotus roots
2. 200g pork ribs
3. 10 red dates (wash and drain)
4. 800ml of water
5. light soy sauce to taste.
1. Wash and clean mud from lotus root. Remove the skin and joints from lotus roots. Cut it into 0.5 cm thickness.
2. Wash the pork ribs to remove any blood and trim off excess fat.
3. Bring the water to boil in a pot. Add pork ribs into the boiling water and boil for half an hour. Remove scum from the surface of soup.
4. Add in the lotus root slices and red dates. Simmer the soup for another 2 hours.
5. Add seasoning and serve hot.