I've been so busy at work since January this year. Sometimes, I reach home quite late, and exhausted. So, to be frank, I didn't spend much time to cook dinner now a days. Even if I were, I'll just cook one dish which combines meat and vegetable to serve with rice. Bitter gourd and chicken stew is one of them.
Soy bean paste is good to reduce the bitterness of the bitter gourd. Stew the bitter gourd together with chicken and seasonings, the outcome is pretty impressive. With this dish alone, our dinner becomes flavorful.
Bitter Gourd and Chicken Stew
Half of bitter gourd, cored and sliced horizontally
Half of free range chicken, chopped into pieces, and skinned
1 tbsp of goji berry, soaked in water for 10 minutes and drained.
500ml of water
2 tbsp of cooking oil
1 tbsp of soy bean paste
6 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
1/2 tbsp of oyster sauce
1/2 tbsp of dark soy sauce
1 tsp of brown sugar
light soy sauce to taste (optional)
1. Heat oil in a wok. Saute garlic till fragrant.
2. Add chicken and soy bean paste to fry for 2 minutes. Add bitter gourd to mix.
3. Pour in water and cover the wok. Leave it simmering for 10 minutes.
4. Add oyster sauce, brown sugar, dark soy sauce and light soy sauce to taste.
5. Leave it simmering till sauce thickening. Dish out and sprinkle goji berry on top of it.