It was quite a boring Chinese New Year's eve. My in law's are not celebrating the new year due to grandma in law passed away in a week before the Chinese New Year. Nothing much to enjoy during this festival. After a simple family dinner, I spend my time watching Asian Food Channel. Coincidently, I spotted one simple recipe from Chef At Home. Micheal Smith cooked a tempting broccoli soup on the show. Immediately, I jotted down the ingredients and get ready to cook it when I get back home. :) So, I'm here to share this delicious soup with you. Enjoy!
Ingredients:1 onion, peeled and chopped
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
1 broccoli, get the stem sliced and the rest cut into florets
1 potato, peeled and julienned
400-500ml chicken stock (adjust based on your preference)
shredded cheddar cheese
dashes of black pepper powder
dashes of nutmeg powder
salt to taste
1. Heat up generous amount of olive oil in a saucepan. Sauté onion till soften, and add garlic to combine.
2. Add julienned potato and stir-fry.
3. Pour the chicken stock into the saucepan and bring for simmering.
4. Add broccoli stem to the soup. Leave it simmering till the broccoli stem turn soft.
5. Leave the soup cooled before blend it into smooth texture.
6. Return the soup to the saucepan. Add broccoli florets and bring to a boil.
7. Add seasoning to taste. Off the flame and add in shredded cheddar cheese. Serve hot.