Thursday, April 9, 2009

Cucumber & Pineapple In Sweet & Sour Sauce



This is my favorite dish. It's my mom's home cooked dish. We call it as Timun sui in Hokkien. It can be considered as a kind of appetizer due to its sweet and sour taste. Ladies like it.

I don't eat gizzards that serve at any restaurant or hawker stall. Mom's home cooked is an exception. According to mom, the pineapple, and cucumber are seasoned with a pinch of sea salt and sugar before marinating with rice vinegar together with onion and red chili. Next, all the ingredients are saute with chicken gizzards in tomato and chili sauce. Corn starch is added as the last step for sauce thickening.

The steps of preparing the chicken gizzards is "yucky". That's the gating factor for me to cook this dish on my own. :)

5 comments:

Dora said...

Err...i like sweet and sour meats but no gizzards for me. ;p

Have a nice weekend!

New Kid on the Blog said...

Hi pal... my mom never cook such dish. So, I cannot imagine and visualize how would it be. But, by looking at your pic, it looks tempting.

Big Boys Oven said...

we have this similar dish without pineapple and chilli! just love it!

Tummythoz said...

Salivating d. =P

Your chicken vendor at d wet market doesn't clean them up when you buy the innards?

Little Inbox said...

Dora, my mom cut each of the gizzards into few small pieces, so taste wise, very "QQ", quite nice.

New kid, may be it's a Hokkien dish? NOt sure, hehe...


BBO, I like prefer more pineapple than cucumber.

Tummythoz, no wor, got to clean it on your own.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails