Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Purple Sweet Potato Bun


Every time when I step into a hypermarket, I enjoyed myself looking for new ingredients for my cooking. Each hypermarket sure have their unique products. Some have wide variety of spices, and some are more fresh vegetables and fruits.

Last week, I found some fresh fragrant purple sweet potato which I seldom use in my cooking. Since I still have some left over "Pao" flour, I thought of trying to make some steamed buns. I played with the dough and shaped it into different shapes. This is the prettiest among all. 

Purple Sweet Potato Bun


Ingredients:
270gm of purple sweet potato, peeled, cut into chunks,steamed until soft and mashed
60gm fine sugar
500gm pao flour
1 tsp of yeast
10gm Sunflower oil
200ml water

Steps:
1. Put all the ingredients into bread maker follow the sequence of liquid, semi liquid, and dry ingredients.
2. Select "dough" program.
3. When the dough is ready, divide it into small equal portions. Shape it and put on parchment paper.
4. Let the dough prove for 45 minutes.
5. Steam it for about 15 minutes or longer depends on the size.
Steamed Bun (Baozi, 包子)

24 comments:

Jeannie said...

Wow! I like the colour very much!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Love the purple color and it look nice too.

Babe_KL said...

So pretty! I think can use pumpkin too!

WendyinKK said...

Hard to get pretty purple sweet potatoes. Your buns look so pretty

My Little Space said...

Oooo... the colour of your buns looks really attractive. I want to give it a big bite. Yummm.... haha... Have a lovely evening.
Good night,
Kristy

Cooking Gallery said...

What a lovely colour! I still haven't got any luck finding purple potatoes here, only normal or sweet potatoes, but no purple ones :(

lena said...

forget abt the taste of sweet potatoes, just the colour alone makes me want to have a bite at these!!

Priya Suresh said...

Wow so pretty and catchy colourful bun..

Anonymous said...

I love purple food, and this looks right up my alley!

tigerfish said...

Nice bright purple! How nice for those who can bake - more things/ingredients to try.

kitchen flavours said...

Your bun looks so pretty and the colour is lovely. It looks so soft too. This would be great to have with a cup of tea! Nice job!

Anonymous said...

Unique looking bun. I love sweet potatoes...especially the purple ones.

Mary Bergfeld said...

I never would have thought to use purple potatoes to color the buns. It look arresting! I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

ICook4Fun said...

Such a beautiful vibrant color of purple!!

cherry potato said...

Wow, I like this colour!!Looks very sweet!!

Joanne said...

Purple sweet potatoes can't help but put a smile on my face and these buns look delicious!

Torviewtoronto said...

this looks fabulous check out the event in my site cheers

kirbie said...

I love the color and the shape. Like flowers! I've actually been thinking of making this for a while but I've been waiting for purple sweet potatoes to be on sale.

Jessica said...

I'm always looking for new ways to use purple potatoes!

lsheng said...

Where can you buy Pao (Pau?) flour?

Little Inbox said...

Isheng, pow flour can be found in any supermarket or hypermarket.

Kate said...

Unusual recipe for sweet potato.
I can't say the colour appeals as food although as afashion stament it is beyond reproach.
Are you sure there isn't any additional colouring in it?
Back to my favourite Yemeni Matari coffee from The Tea and Coffee Emporium while I ponder to try or not to try this one.
Thanks for the post and the opportunity to comment.

Rasa Malaysia said...

Awww, this is too cute. My favorite bao is yellow sweet potato bun. Every time I go back to Penang, I would buy it every night for supper. Super soft and tasty. :)

Joan said...

Nice color and texture of the bun. Lovely :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails