Monday, July 25, 2011

Fried "Xin Zhu" Vermicelli 炒新竹米粉



新竹米粉 translated to English as "Xin Zhu" vermicelli, is a well-known noodle produced in Xin Zhu, Taiwan. The noodles is dried by the natural wind and not by machine. That's what made it so special and popular in Xin Zhu. The main ingredients are rice and water. 

I'm not sure if the dried "Xin Zhu" vermicelli that I bought is the original product from "Xin Zhu". But, I can tell the difference between this "Xin Zhu" vermicelli and the common vermicelli. It needs longer soaking time to soften. It is half-translucent that is similar to glass noodle. And it is also more springy. Of course, it is more expensive. I've use it several times in stir-frying, but haven't try it in noodle soup. If you like fried glass noodle, you will like this fried "Xin Zhu" vermicelli too.

Fried "Xin Zhu" Vermicelli 炒新竹米粉
Serves 2


Ingredients:
2 pieces of "Xin Zhu" Vermicelli, soaked in warm water for 25-30 minutes
cabbage, cut into strips
1/4 of carrot, cut into strips
1 egg, beaten
12 prawns, shelled and deveined
100ml water
1 tbsp of chopped garlic
cooking oil

Seasonings:
1 tbsp of oyster sauce
1 tsp of dark soy sauce
3 tbsp of light soy sauce
dashes of white pepper powder

Steps:
1. Heat some oil in a wok. Fry the beaten egg till golden both sides. Leave it cool and cut it into strips.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in the wok and saute garlic until fragrant. Add the prawns, and cabbage to stir-fry for 2 minutes.
3. Add vermicelli.  Pour in seasonings, water and mix well. Continue to stir-fry until the sauce is thickening. Toss the carrot to the vermicelli. Stir-fry for 1 minute. Dish out and garnish with egg strips. Serve hot.

18 comments:

ann low said...

I love this "Xin Zhu" vermicelli too. Your dish looks very delicious even with little ingredients. Yummy!

Maris (In Good Taste) said...

This looks so good! Love the sauces!

daphne said...

This is the first time I have heard of this! I thought it was glass noodle!

WendyinKK said...

The xin zhu vermicelli looks quite similiar to Hu Tou vermicelli. It's also translucent like tung hoon.
Last time I used to buy HuTou Verm from Tesco, but haven't been buying for quite some time, dunno if they still have it. I'll try Xin Zhu next time if I see this.

cherry potato said...

这米粉看起来有点想冬粉,卖像很不错,还有剩吗?

tigerfish said...

I have tried 新竹米粉 but it does not look like this. This looks so much more like Tang Hoon? :P ...I recalled the 新竹米粉 I tried is really thin and fine bee hoon. :O....

hmmmm.....

Elin said...

I love this xin zhu vermicelli ! Looks delish and I shall KIV this ! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

New Kid on the Blog said...

Noticed the Xin Zhu vermicelli is slightly thicker than the normal one and a bit translucent hor?!

Quay Po Cooks said...

I have never tried Xin Zhu vermicelli. Now that I know it exist, will be more observant next time at the supermarket. Is this something like the vermicelli used for the Vietnamese wrap?

TasteHongKong said...

There are quite a number of Taiwan food promotions in my place recently, and I have brought home a pack of 新竹米粉, which, like other rice noodles, looks white than transparent.
By the way, I like stir-frying it too.

Joanne said...

I love the texture of vermicelli and you've prepared it so well here!

Anonymous said...

This looks like a great dish!

Zoe said...

I like the egg rolls at the side. They look like yellow roses to me.

Jeannie said...

It's lunchtime here and I am drooling over your plate of vermicelli, xin zhu or not, they look delicious!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

i bought this vermicelli before, very similar to glass noodles..Your look yummy!

MaryMoh said...

This looks like the Korean potato noodles. I always like these noodles, transparent and delicious.

kitchen flavours said...

The vermicelli looks like "tung fun". Loos delicious!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely dish. The sauce sounds wonderful. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails