Sunday, October 5, 2008

Chicken Thigh In "Chinese Red Wine" 红糟鸡腿




I'm lucky to get one bottle of Hong Zhao from Wai Wai 2 weeks ago. This is the harvest from Elaine's MIL after marinating the Hong Zhao for 2 months. Each time her MIL will just have only 12 bottles for sale. Sorry for other customers cuz I've cut queue. ;P You must be jealous as this special bottle of Hong Zhao and some dry ingredients were dedicated to me for free of charge! Thanks again. Elaine.

Hong Zhao 红糟 aka the Chinese red wine. Main ingredients include glutinous rice, red rice and wine biscuits. According to Elaine, all the ingredients were grounded, mixed and left fermented in a big clay container. When the time's due, the content will be sieved.

Elaine also shared her recipe on how to cook 2 dishes, one is the dry version and another one is the soup version. I tested with the dry version. For the very first time, I experimented it with only one chicken thigh. It was a successful experiment. I fell in love wih its smell and taste. In fact, Hong Zhao is used as main ingredient in confinement food.

Recipe for Chicken Thigh In "Chinese Red Wine" (红糟鸡腿)

Ingredients:

1. 1 chicken thigh, remove skin and fat. Marinate with dry ingredients for 1 hour

2. Ginger slices

3. 1 full tbsp of chopped garlic

4. 2 tbsp of sesame oil

Seasoning:

1. 1 tsp of sugar

2. 1 tbsp of light soya sauce

3. 1 tsp of corn flour diluted in 4 tbsp of water

Method:

1. Heat sesame oil in a wok.

2. Stir fry ginger and garlic till fragrant.

3. Pour in marinated chicken and stir fry for a while.

4. Add 1/3 cup of Hong Zhao and cover the wok for 2-3 minutes or till chicken is cooked.

5. Pour in seasoning and some light soy sauce to taste.

23 comments:

CK Lam said...

Your post came out just at the right time as I have recently received a bottle of chinese red wine from my friend that came back from Sitiawan. She even gave me two packets of mee-suah.

Will cook it using your recipe.

Little Inbox said...

Oh, really? Ok, hope that you like it. Let me know if you dicover another new recipe. :)
I have yet to cook the Ang Chew Mee Suah.

Wai Wai said...

Little inbox, glad that you like the taste...so I'm anticipating repeat order from you.. ha ha ha..MIL just marinated another big jar last week... next stock in early Dec... :)

Little Inbox said...

Wai Wai, Sure! Let me try out more dishes yea... :)

Allie said...

The chicken looks yummy lol..

Little Inbox said...

Allie, it's yummy, hehe :P

cariso said...

红糟can be used to fry eggs also oh. I used to do so. Change pattern sikit. :)

tigerfish said...

Looks good! I heard 红糟 is supposed to be good, esp for women?

Little Inbox said...

Cariso, this is new to me. How do you make it?

Yes, Tiger fish, 红糟 is used in confinement food. But I'm not too sure how does it works. May be it has the similar effect like DOM?

New Kid on the Blog said...

ai yo... i really miss this chinese red wine leh...

Little Inbox said...

New kid, me just the first time got a chance to taste on it wo...

worldwindows said...

Just got home from Penang! Enjoyed the food as usual. Penang Road was the best!

Little Inbox said...

Worldwindows, hi there. Welcome to my blog. Good to hear that you enjoyed our Penang food. As a Penangite, I'm proud of Penang food. :)

Dora said...

My chef use the wine to cook chicken soup. It's very nourishing and especially good for confinement mothers.

Little Inbox said...

Dora, oh, really? I shall try this out too... Thanks for telling me.

choi yen said...

never taste this b4~~ how does it taste like? like rice wine?

Little Inbox said...

mimid3vils, the Hong Zhao alone, it smell like rice wine.

Ciki said...

wow! that's a really intense cool color for chicken:)

Little Inbox said...

cumi & ciki, this is the natural colouring. It comes from the red rice used to make Hong Zhao.

Food Promotions said...

My fav dish. Usually will stir fry it or either make it into soup version with mee suah. Its very famous in Sitiawan, Perak.

Little Inbox said...

food promotions, I'll cook the mee suah for my next experiment. :)

cariso said...

simple, just fry the eggs with 红糟 + a bit of sugar. It will end up like eggs soaking inside the 红糟汁.

Little Inbox said...

Cariso, thanks for sharing this simple recipe. :) I will try this out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails