I'm lucky to get one bottle of Hong Zhao from Wai Wai 2 weeks ago. This is the harvest from Elaine's MIL after marinating the Hong Zhao for 2 months. Each time her MIL will just have only 12 bottles for sale. Sorry for other customers cuz I've cut queue. ;P You must be jealous as this special bottle of Hong Zhao and some dry ingredients were dedicated to me for free of charge! Thanks again. Elaine.
Hong Zhao 红糟 aka the Chinese red wine. Main ingredients include glutinous rice, red rice and wine biscuits. According to Elaine, all the ingredients were grounded, mixed and left fermented in a big clay container. When the time's due, the content will be sieved.
Elaine also shared her recipe on how to cook 2 dishes, one is the dry version and another one is the soup version. I tested with the dry version. For the very first time, I experimented it with only one chicken thigh. It was a successful experiment. I fell in love wih its smell and taste. In fact, Hong Zhao is used as main ingredient in confinement food.
Recipe for Chicken Thigh In "Chinese Red Wine" (红糟鸡腿)
1. 1 chicken thigh, remove skin and fat. Marinate with dry ingredients for 1 hour
2. Ginger slices
3. 1 full tbsp of chopped garlic
4. 2 tbsp of sesame oil
1. 1 tsp of sugar
2. 1 tbsp of light soya sauce
3. 1 tsp of corn flour diluted in 4 tbsp of water
1. Heat sesame oil in a wok.
2. Stir fry ginger and garlic till fragrant.
3. Pour in marinated chicken and stir fry for a while.
4. Add 1/3 cup of Hong Zhao and cover the wok for 2-3 minutes or till chicken is cooked.
5. Pour in seasoning and some light soy sauce to taste.