Monday, February 9, 2009

Bubur Cha Cha - The Chap Goh Meh Dessert



Here comes the end of lunar new year 2009. Happy Chap Goh Meh to all of you. Coincidentally, today is the public holiday replacement for Thaipusam. Hurray!

Malaysian Chinese normally enjoy their home cooked dessert, called “bubur cha cha” on the last day of Chinese new year. This sweet and creamy dessert is cooked in coconut milk, with various kind of ingredients. Everybody can have their own favorites, with banana, mango, or cashew nuts added in.

The above photo is my mom’s home cooked “bubur cha cha”. On this day, my mom will cook a very big pot of bubur cha cha for praying. She uses the most basic ingredients consist of yam, sweet potatoes, sagu, and pink jelly made from tapioca flour. To make the bubur cha cha milky and fragrant, pandan leaves, thick coconut milk and sugar are added. Hmm...I just like this type of dessert.

15 comments:

Selba said...

Happy Cap Goh Meh!

Ah... bubur cha cha... one of my mom's favourite bubur :)

Food Paradise said...

Happy Chap Goh Meh! This remind me that I did not had bubur cha cha for very long time. lol

New Kid on the Blog said...

Happy Cap Goh Meh!
Do you know why only Hokkiens will make this dessert??
According to M'sia Best's website, it says this is not Bubur Cha Cha is actually Pengat. And I have no idea what is that all.

Anonymous said...

Happy Chap Goh Meh to you...The bubur cha cha sure is colourful.

Actually I don't really know why they eat this tong sui on this special day.

Dora said...

It has been a very long time since i ate this dessert. :)

pigpigscorner said...

Happy Chap Goh Meh! I didn't even know it's chap goh meh today until my mum told me this morning! Love this dessert! I wish I can have a bowl now.

choi yen said...

Bubur cha cha for chap goh mei prayer? 1st time heard this :P

Food For Tots said...

元宵节快乐! I luv bubur cha-cha!

-j- said...

i love this dessert!!

Elin Chia said...

I love bubur cha cha too ! Nice one..as usual lucky you..Momsie cooked and you eat :)))

Penang Tua Pui said...

what we cook for chap goh meh is call pengat, the different with bubur cacar is... we did put some BANANA in which u seldom find it at bubur cacar.

Shell (貝殼) said...

Long time didn't take bubur cha cha~~ miss the coconut milk taste

worldwindows said...

I can never refuse a bowl of this havenly dessert.

Kristie said...

omg, looks sooooooooo good!

tigerfish said...

I thought Chap Goh Mei should eat Tang Yuen? hee hee...but I think I would like Bubur Cha Cha too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails