Saturday, May 1, 2010

Roasted Pumpkin Soup


Today is Labour Day. Getting a chance to rest at home makes me think of cooking a light and simple meal. Instead of cooking rice or noodle, I go for soup today. Yes, just soup for today's lunch. Roasted pumpkin soup can be a very fufilling meal on its own. By the way, it's a good choice for detox meal too. Sounds great, right?


Roasted Pumpkin Soup
Serves 2

Ingredients:

820gm pumpkin, diced into half-moon pieces
1 onion, peeled and dice
8 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
450ml water
200ml fresh milk
1 sprig of fresh Rosemary
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Steps:

1. Preheat the oven at 150 deg C. Diced the pumpkin into half-moon shape pieces. Remove the seeds. Sprinkle a tablespoon of olive oil over the pumpkin. Roast it for 15 minutes with a sprig of fresh Rosemary.

2. When time's up, leave the pumpkin to cool. Remove the skin and cut it into cubes.

3. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a sauce pan. Saute onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add the pumpkin and saute for another 3 minutes. Pour in 350ml of water and bring to a boil. Close the lid and leave it simmering for 8 minutes. By this time the pumpkin should be turn soft. Off the fire, and leave the soup to cool down a bit.

4. Pour the soup into blender and blend till smooth. Reheat the soup with 100ml of water and 200ml of milk. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.

24 comments:

Noob Cook said...

love pumpkin soup! what a nice soup dish to enjoy on a relaxing day off :)

the lacquer spoon said...

I love hot soup too, warming up our body and heart :) Delish!

Pam said...

Very creamy. Not all restaurants serve up-to-standard pumpkin soup, some can be really awful, some even have a kind of unbearable smell.
Yours looks tasty, it reminds me of Secret Recipe's signature soup.

Food For Tots said...

Haven't tried to roast pumpkin to make soup before because I'm too lazy. Hehehe! But I'm sure your version is much tastier than mine.

Elin Chia said...

This must be very tasty with rosemary flavored pumpkin soup. I like your version and I shall try this out. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Great one and keep them coming :)

Sook said...

Oh what a fantastic soup recipe! I ate a little bad today because we went to a wedding. So this soup would be wonderful for me and my fam tomorrow! Recipe saved! :)

Little Inbox said...

noobcook, hmm...something light for a day to relax my stomach at the same time. :)

the lacquer spoon, yup, absolutely!

Tarts and Pies, it is not creamy, but is the pumpkin puree that make it looks creamy. No cream was added to the soup.

Little Inbox said...

Food for Tots, in this way, it makes the job easier to remove the pumpkin skin, as the pumpkin turned a bit soft after roasting.

Elin, no problem. I hope you'll like it.

Sook, try it out and let me know if you like it.

Jessy said...

What a delicious and comforting meal! Beautiful too.

jessyburke88@gmail.com

WendyinKK said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog and for linking me in your blog.
:)

I love pumpkin soup, but my husband don't like anything with pumpkin, even those pumpkin buns that you saw (They were for my kids and me).

MaryMoh said...

My family would love this. Looks refreshing, healthy and delicious.....mmmm

Little Inbox said...

Jessy, thanks.

Wendy, just discover your blog. :)
Like your way of cooking.

MaryMoh, try it out and I hope you and your family will like it. :D

Meena said...

beautiful pumpkin soup...i make similar one w/butternut squash!

New Kid on the Blog said...

hey, just wanna check with you, did you try to plant those herbs like rosemary, basil leafs??

Little Inbox said...

Mermaid, both of them should be similar, right?

New Kid, no. I bought a packet of Rosemary from Jusco. Not sure where to find the plant here in Penang. If not mistaken, can get it from Cameron Highland.

TasteHongKong said...

Great! A comfort, healthy soup for any time.

M. said...

this looks healthy and beautiful....love...love the color of this soup :)

Stella said...

Hey, this looks wonderful. I love pumpkin soup-so wholesome and delicious it is!

J2Kfm said...

Lovely soup. I have always had a soft spot for roasted vegetables soup, like pumpkins, or tomatoes.

Little Inbox said...

TasteHongKong, hmm...it is for sure.

M., thanks. this is the natural color of pumpkin.

Stella, thanks.

J2Kfm, this is the 2nd time I try to make pumpkin soup. The first trial was using cream, and this round decided to cook it without cream, but with roasted pumpkin. :)

tigerfish said...

I only made this soup once cos the pureeing it to soup consistency is really hard when I do not have a blender/food processor.

petite nyonya said...

this is such a gorgeous soup. the color so vibrant! i am patiently waiting for my pumpkin plants to grow as vigorous as they could and bear fruits!

daphne said...

my fav!! i love this presentation of the soup. I can drink this anytime of the day.

tainhui said...

Tried your recipe ...thumbs up!!!
Hubby love it :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails