Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Fried Vermicelli with ShaCha Sauce 沙茶酱炒米粉


Shacha sauce is very popular in Taiwanese cuisine. The paste acts as seasoning for stir-fry dishes. I've been hunting for this ready-made sauce for quite some time, and I finally found it. :) There's only one imported brand from Taiwan that is available, so no choice for us as consumer. The only selection available is vegetarian or spicy non-vegetarian. So, I go for the latter.


Before adding it in my cooking, I personally smell and taste the sauce upfront. The shacha sauce is made of plenty of spices and ingredients like garlic, shallots, chilies, bean oil, brill fish, and dried shrimp. Though it is full of flavor, but it's not salty. That is for the one I got. The taste may be varies for other brand. Up to date, I've been using it for 3-4 times, mainly for fried vermicelli. I like my fried vermicelli with ShaCha sauce. How about you?


I'm sharing the dish with Presto Pasta Nights # 175 hosted by the founder, Ruth from Once Upon A Feast. Enjoy!

Fried Vermicelli with ShaCha Sauce
Serves 2

Ingredients:

Vermicelli (amount for 2)
1 egg, fried and cut into strips
1/2 carrot, julienned
some cabbage, cut into thin strips
10 jumbo prawns, shelled and deveined
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
3 tbsp of vegetable oil


Seasonings (mix together):
1 1/2 tbsp of shacha sauce
3 tbsp of light soy sauce (adjust based on the saltiness of your ShaCha sauce)
1 tsp of dark soy sauce
100ml of water or less ( I add 50ml of water and the rest is added based on the judgment in the frying process)

Steps:
1. Soak the vermicelli in room temperature water for at least 20 minutes or until soft. Drain and set aside.

2. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in the wok and saute garlic until fragrant. Add the prawns, and cabbage to stir-fry for 2 minutes.

3. Add vermicelli and seasonings and mix well. Continue to stir-fry until the sauce is thickening. Toss  the carrot and egg to the vermicelli. Stir-fry for 1 minute. Dish out and serve hot.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious. I can't wait to make it! Which Sha Cha brand do you prefer? Thanks.

Cler.

Pam said...

This is a perfect dish to try! You always have great reipes!

pigpigscorner said...

Shacha sauce is so versatile, I use it for fried rice and stir-fries.

WendyinKK said...

May I know where did you get it? Hypermart? Which one?

MaryMoh said...

Mmm...looks very delicious. I love shacha sauce. A Taiwanese friend of mine once cooked beef noodles with shacha sauce for me. It was absolutely delicious.

Little Inbox said...

Cler, this is just my first time buying a bottle of ShaCha sauce, and here I can't find other brand except this. So, I can't tell which brand taste the best.
Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Pam, thanks. I hope you like these Asian food. :)

pigpigscorner, I read from the net that it can be used to marinate meat also.

Little Inbox said...

wendyywy, it's Giant. Surprisingly I discovered that it has more spices, marinade pastes and sauces among the others. Can you find Giant Hypermarket near your place there?

MaryMoh, I see. It make the noodles and the meat so flavorful, huh?

vincent, thanks for the invitation. Ok, I'll look into it.

New Kid on the Blog said...

Errr... what is ShaCha sauce??? Am clueless

Anonymous said...

Great looking dish. I love fried vermicelli with prawns. Have never tasted one with Sha Cha sauce.

Elin Chia said...

I have been looking for this sauce in Ipoh but can't seem to find it
:(
I guess it is a flavorful sauce from your description :) and I am also sure your vermicelli taste delicious with this Sha Cha sauce.

Btw in reply to your question regarding where to purchase the jellyfish..normally you can get it only from the wet market. Not sure whether you have the ready de-salted one sold in Penang's wet market. Or you can get from those shops selling salted fish and dried sea cucumber. They should have. Hope this helps.

MODERN ROBINSON CRUSOE said...

Nice...different homecook recipe - certainly LI's hubby is one lucky men :)

the lacquer spoon said...

ShaCha Sauce sounds interesting and versatile. I'll try to find it in a big supermarket :)

Food For Tots said...

I'm very curious to try out this sauce after seeing everyone used it in their cooking. I also found a recipe using this sauce from my cookbook too. What is the brand? Your mee hoon looks so tempting!!

tigerfish said...

I seldom buy sauces now...but I will make the same choice as yours...spicy non-vegetarian. :)

Little Inbox said...

New Kid, it's quite popular wor...

Mei Teng, with ShaCha sauce, the vermicelli taste totally different than the usual one.

Hi Elin, thanks for the answer. I will look for it.

MRC, hohoho...he is, yes. Haha...

Little Inbox said...

the lacquer spoon, yes it is. I hope you can find one too.

Food For Tots, thank you. The only brand available is the "bull head" brand.

tigerfish, the sauce is quite expensive. It costs RM16++ for a small can.

Ruth Daniels said...

Looks fantastic. I wonder if I'll be able to find Shacha sauce here in Halifax Nova Scotia. I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

petite nyonya said...

I love fried beehoon, this looks delicious but I've never tasted shacha before or maybe I have but don't know it. :)

TasteHongKong said...

You are reminding me of this flavorful sauce for use in stir-frying and marinading meats. Thanks. I have yet to try the Taiwanese version.

Little Inbox said...

Ruth, it's my pleasure. Anticipating to see all the pasta dishes in the round up.

Petite Nyoya, just keep an eye on it. It's still not so common here in Malaysia.

TasteHongKong, I have not using it to marinate meat. It will be my next target.

Anonymous said...

Is Shacha sauce the same as the bottled Sriracha Chili Sauce with the rooster on it and the green top make her in California? Thanks!

Pam @ Kitchen Cookware said...

I have a pack of vermicelli sitting on my pantry for awhile and now I think this is perfect way to use it on a recipe with Shacha sauce. Thanks.

daphne said...

ooo.. I love the sound of this sauce. WOnder if I can find it. Like u, i do like the versatility of fried bee hoon!

Joanne said...

Why have I never heard of this sauce before? It sounds so tasty!

minchow said...

Shacha sauce is fantastic! I use it in practically everything! Makes even cardboard taste good! :-)

Noob Cook said...

I must find this shacha sauce soon after hearing so much about it. Your bee hoon looks delicious.

Little Inbox said...

Anonymous, no it's different. ShaCha sauce is not chili sauce.

Pam @ Kitchen Cookware, yes. vermicelli tastes really delicious in this way.

daphne, in fact I like vermicelli the most compared to other types of noodle.

Joanne, erm...may be it's just famous in Asian.

Min Chow, Oh I see...I should use it in different way too.

noobcook, thanks. I hope you will like it too.

WendyinKK said...

Hi,
May I know the exact shop u got the sauce from?

thanks.

Little Inbox said...

Wendy, I think you miss out my reply earlier. I bought it from Giant Hypermarket. Compared to Tesco, Giant has more variety of spices, marinade pastes and sauces. Can you find Giant Hypermarket near your place there?
On top of that, during my visit to some vegetarian outlets, the vegetarian version of ShaCha sauce is available also. Hope this info helps.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails