Monday, August 2, 2010

Sweet, Sour and Spicy Shrimps


We don't take jumbo shrimps that often.... so it is rare to find me cooking jumbo shrimps at home. Even if I did cook, jumbo shrimp is just a condiment to steamboat or noodle stuff like what I did for local Malay prawn noodle. I don't have a recipe of jumbo shrimps, but I'm now going into that path. For the first time of my shrimp recipe, I keep the ingredients to the minimal and the simplest cooking method....steaming. As long as the shrimps are fresh, steaming is the best way to retain the original flavor.


When the shrimp is perfectly cooked, you can feel its crunch and firm texture when you bite on it. This jumbo shrimp appetizer with sweet, hot and spicy flavors, hoo...hoo...it's really tempting.

Sweet, Sour and Spicy Shrimps

Ingredients:
10 jumbo prawns

Stuffing (adjust to your liking):
garlic, peeled and chopped
Thai bird's eye chili. seeded and chopped
parsley
calamansi juice
salt/ light soy sauce
sugar


Steps:

1. Cut off 1/3 of the shrimp head. Leave the shell on. Slit along the back of the shrimp about half depth of the flesh.Remove the vein and clean under running water. Set aside.

2. Mix all the stuffing ingredients. Stuff it into the back of the shrimps. Arrange the shrimps on a heat-proof plate.

3. Steam it under hot boiling water for 5 minutes.

24 comments:

New Kid on the Blog said...

looks yummy yummy... :)

Little Inbox said...

Hey pal, you've been silent since the past 2 weeks. Busy?

tigerfish said...

Like that sour (citrus) twist on the shrimps. Your shrimps are like 'glass' shrimps :O

J2Kfm said...

yeah steamed prawns are the best, provided they're fresh enough.

WendyinKK said...

I can hardly get prawns this fresh for steaming...

ann low said...

I love prawns and this sounds so mouth watering with all that ingredients in it.

Pam said...

Love those 4 S's! They look delicious!

Juliana said...

Wow, this is the way to go...sweet, sour and spicy...can almost taste the shrimps :-)

Elizabeth said...

Too bad our local prawns are out of season now...these look so good!

Little Inbox said...

tigerfish, the first photo is on raw shrimps.

J2Kfm, yes correct! :)

Wendyywy, my place here can easily find fresh prawns. Lucky me!

Little Inbox said...

Anncoo, oh yes, we ladies really fancy the sweet, sour and spicy food, right?

Pam, hohoho, I just realized on the 4'S's, hehehe...

Juliana, provided the prawns are fresh. :)

Elizabeth, thanks. Wait for the right season then. :)

Anonymous said...

These are some juicy looking shrimps. Other prawn dishes I enjoy are steamed prawns (in Chinese wine) and prawn salad.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

beautiful shrimps dish!

FOODnTRAVELla said...

it's a simple yet yummy dish!

Joudie's Mood Food said...

This looks so fresh and simply divine! Im sure the flavour was incredible....

Joanne said...

I rarely eat jumbo shrimps either but these look too tasty to pass up!

choi yen said...

i can finish it all by myself~~

Noob Cook said...

those stuffed shrimps look delicious. and really great idea to put slice lime pieces between the prawns, I'm going to try it next time :)

Stella said...

Wow! These are beautiful. I might have to try this if I see large prawns-I know it would be a hit around here if I did!

Cynthia said...

This is such a beautfiul presentation! I love the flavour combinations too!

Little Inbox said...

Mei Teng, my next target is drunken prawns, hehe...

Hi Sonia, thanks.

FOODnTRAVELla, yes it is. There's no oil added at all. I like it in this way.

Joudie's Mood Food, it is a very appealing dish. :)
Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Joanne, thank you!

Little Inbox said...

mimid3vils, oh, that's a lot, hehe...

noobccok, the idea came into my mind spontaneously. It makes the plate of raw prawns look better.

Stella, feel free to try the recipe. If you can't find the calamansi, you can use lemon instead.

Cynthia, thanks.

vialentino said...

lovely recipe indeed...nice nice

Little Inbox said...

vialentino, thanks. Feel free to try the recipe.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails