Friday, October 1, 2010

Cordyceps Soup (Double-Boiling Method)

Can you see the worm-like roots? 

It's been years that I've not stepped into wet market. Hubby is the one who goes to market on every Sunday to buy all the item as per my list. There's always pros and cons. Pros is I can utilize my time to do house chores at home. Cons is I didn't get any chance to discover new ingredients for my cooking, as hubby's knowledge in ingredients is pretty limited. 

The other day, we went to a supermarket that I rarely go. I spotted fresh Cordyceps, so without hesitation, I grab a packet of it. Here's my new creation, the fresh Cordyceps soup cooked in double boiler. If you prefer clear soup, then double boiler is a good helper. Although the soup is cooked for hours but the soup base remained clear and clean. Fresh Cordiceps taste pretty bland. Luckily I added some other Chinese herbs to enhance the flavour. 





Cordyceps Soup (Double-Boiling Method)
Serves 3-4
Ingredients:

80gm fresh cordyceps, cleaned
250gm pork ribs, chopped into small pieces and blanched
12 red dates, 6-pitted and 6-leave as it is
6 strips of yuk chok
4 strips of wai san
2 tbsp of wolf berry, soaked and drained
1300ml water
salt to taste



Steps:
1. Pour 1300ml water into inner pot of a double boiler. Bring to a boil.
2. Add blanched pork ribs, fresh cordyceps, red dates, yuk chok and wai san to the boiling water. Leave it simmering for 3 hours. Check and top up the water level in the outer pot from time to time.
3. Add wolf berries and salt to taste. Leave it simmers for another 5 minutes before off the flame.

28 comments:

Joanne said...

This sounds new to me! I've never even heard of cordyceps before but I'm now intrigued!

WendyinKK said...

Actually hoh...
These may look like worms, like what is translated from the Chinese name, and most of us Malaysians think this is the real McCoy.
Actually it is not cordyceps at all.
Real cordyceps are a dead worm covered with fungus.

tigerfish said...

I have never tried fresh cordyceps. But dried ones....yes :)

Little Inbox said...

Joanne, cordyceps is one of the precious Traditional Chinese Medicine, which is normally found in drid form.

Wendy, haha I know. This is just the root like carrot, like potato. Just wanna scare people with the worm alike thingy in the photo. I dare not take it if it's real worm, hehe...

Tigerfish, like Wendy said, this is not the real cordyceps. In fact, it is totally different taste than dried type cordyceps. It costs cheap too. About MYR2 for 80gm.

ann low said...

I never had cordyceps before must try to make this someday. Sounds healthy!

mycookinghut said...

Very interesting! I have never tried fresh cordyceps!

pigpigscorner said...

Fresh?? I've never seen fresh ones before, only the brown ones.

Anonymous said...

Haha..I used to think those were worms. They do look like worms though.

Katerina said...

Cordyceps are new to me either. Your soup is definitely a dish I should start with so as to learn about it.

New Kid on the Blog said...

hey pal, really like your blog now... it's getting real impressive. Keep up the good work....

Cooking Gallery said...

I always thought they're real worms ;) and never wanted to try cooking with those...!

the lacquer spoon said...

I'm so curious about cordyceps that I hadn't seen. What a healthy soup!

choi yen said...

are they expensive?

MeRy said...

Oh..they looks like worm to me...don't think I am dare to try it out.

daphne said...

Fresh? I have never seen it before!!! But it looks healthy!

Food For Tots said...

What a nourishing soup! I got to try it out too. ;)

Little Inbox said...

Anncoo, figure it out when you go to the market.

Mycookinghut, this is my first time too. :)

pigpigscorner, not sure if you can get it in UK?

Mei Teng, these are the roots. Not sure how's the real one in China.

Little Inbox said...

Katerina, feel free to give it a try!

New Kid, thanks for your support. I'm still learning. :)

Cooking Gallery, ho ho ho... these are roots. :)

the lacquer spoon, oh yes, this is nourishing. :)

Little Inbox said...

choi yen, not at all. It costs MYR2++ for 80 gm.

MeRy, haha, don't be scared by the look. :P

daphne, I guess it's a healthy ingredient for nourishing soup.

Food For Tots, give it a try! :)

xin said...

eeee the cordyceps look really dodgy. i dont like!

Little Inbox said...

xin, ho ho ho, come on! These are just roots. Hehe...

Noob Cook said...

lucky you!! I have to do my own marketing T_T I love making cordyceps soup too, I used dried ones with black chicken. I also double boil. Love your version with the yuk chok and wai san.

Little Inbox said...

noobcook, I do go to hypermarket on weekly basis. :)
Black chicken...very nutritious, but I feel so geli looking at the dark skin and flesh, haha...

Mallory Elise said...

ahahah, i thought they were real worms. what kind of root is that? i looked up what real cordyceps were and eeeesh they are extremely frightening looking. can't imagine anyone making a soup out of that.... :S heheh.

John said...

Ok, just for those who are still a little confused:

Cordyceps is one of the healthiest and nourishing foods on earth.. it provides the body with a unique source of ATP which is found nowhere else in nature (it only takes a little googling to find out what this is. also, its well sought after by bodybuilders for its stamina and vitality giving properties)

In the wild, this organism grows inside a host (an Ant, for example) But its very easy to cultivate yourself, without having to resort to anything creepy-crawlie related. you just need to find a source for the culture.

Could you elaborate a little more on the "double-boiling" method? does this involve the use or a bain marrie or pressure cooker?

please research a little into the growth and mycelial formations of cordyceps and explaining it that way, rather than putting 99% of people off by comments like "see the worms?"
heh..

Will said...

THe one in the photo is fake cordyceps. It is just artichoke root.

The real cordyceps is a fungus grow attached with a moth larva.

Jay said...

I'm not sure I could eat that. I think I'd be too worried I'd develop a compulsion to get to the top of the tallest building I could and just, wait...

Allan Ben said...

Really just to know me that Cordyceps
soup. Nice blog and informative for people

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails