Monday, March 29, 2010

The Famous Cendol?

Penang Road Famous Teochew Chendul

Strategically located in front of Komtar, this café has caught our eye for quite some time now. I thought it would be a good idea to enjoy a bowl of famous cendol under a cozy environment. So, given the opportunity to visit Komtar yesterday, we went to have some dessert there. However, after my first visit, I want to pull back my initial thought. The bowl of cendol and ice-kacang were definitely far behind compared to the one sells at hawker stall in Penang Road. The quality is bad. They prepare the dessert just to fulfill customer’s order, not to satisfy customer’s taste buds.


Hubby opted for the durian cendol, but was told not available, so he changed his order to white coffee cendol. The original cendol is supposed to be served in thick and fragrant coconut milk. But this one, the white coffee is thin and watery. We couldn’t even smell the white coffee fragrant.

I chose to have the ice kacang instead. It was not my cup of tea. I just manage to take a couple of sips, that it! Even hubby commented that it tasted weird.

Definitely dissapointed. This is going to be my first and my last visit.

12 comments:

tigerfish said...

The desserts look darn good! White coffee cendol....? sounds new to me.

ai wei said...

that's really disappointing. i tot that white coffee cendol should be nice and fragrant but u said watery and diluted?!

ck lam said...

I went there once. The taste is so much different from the stall in Penang road.

-j- said...

totally agree with the white coffee cendol. not worth, cannot smell the coffee also.

cariso said...

Hmm,like that we better exercise , walking over to the stall instead.

Little Inbox said...

tigerfish, looks good but doesn't taste good.

ai wei,true, disappointing. :(

ck, I see. I think the same way too.

Duckie, jia lat hor?

cariso, true also, got to sacrifice a little bit in order to get good food.

J2Kfm said...

Wait, this outlet and the one on Penang Road is not one of the same?
I tot they're branches of each other?

email2me said...

Hmmm .... the way it is served also looks different. I doubt the taste are up to the standard of the one at road side.

TasteHongKong said...

I always believe white coffee of Penang are great. Hubby and friend love the ones we brought back from our last visit. Pity that I can't take too much coffee.

Christina Kim said...

Ohhh, thank you so much for sharing your experience, I shall erase all thoughts or plan of going over there!
Their variety of cendol sounds different, but too bad it turned out so disappointing! I liked the ice kacang at the original stall and if this is bad, ermmm...not going..at ALL =P

MODERN ROBINSON CRUSOE said...

Hmm white coffee chendol ?- Sth new to me :-D

Little Inbox said...

J2Kfm, I don't think so, the outlet's cendol and ais kacang quality is far far behind the road side stall's.

email2me, definitely not up to standard.

Christy, hehe...too bad. :P

MRC, something new, but not worth a try. Still along way to improve the recipe.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails