Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Prosperity Cake (Brown Sugar Huat Kuih)


"Huat Kuih" is its Hokkien name, while in Cantonese, it is known as "Fatt Kou". "Huat" or "Fatt" in both dialects carry the meaning of prosperity. The traditional method of making "Huat Koay" requires long hours of fermenting, which bring the result of "smiley face" to the cake after steaming . Can you see the cake is smiling with widely open mouth? Yes, that's the reason the cake has a such auspicious name - The Prosperity Cake. 

This recipe that I got from 妮可斯爽闹厨房 calls for a twist to the traditional way of making "Huat Kuih". Instead of using rice flour and yeast, both are replaced by self raising flour. It simplifies the making process.

The Prosperity Cake (Brown Sugar Huat Kuih) 
Recipe adapted from 妮可斯爽闹厨房
Yields for 3 cakes in 3" diameter ramekin

Ingredients:

130gm self-raising flour
35gm brown sugar
35gm white sugar
25gm coconut cream
100ml hot water

Steps:

1. Bring a wok of water to boil.

2. Dissolve the brown sugar and white sugar in the hot water

3. Sieve the self-raising flour in a big bowl. Mix with coconut cream. Sieve in the syrup slowly and mix until you get a gluey batter.

4. Line paper cups in ramekins. Fill the batter into paper cups. Steam for 20 minutes. If you use smaller ramekin, the steaming time can be reduced to 10 -15 minutes.

25 comments:

Unknown said...

eh.... this one look very easy leh. Will try it when my hand are itchy for baking. lol Thanks for sharing!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

what an easy way to make Huat Kuih, must try this recepe one day.Thanks for sharing.

tigerfish said...

Huat ah!

Elin Chia said...

Your recipe is so much easier than the rest. I will try this out as soon as I have the coconut cream :) Thanks for sharing and great photography :)

WendyinKK said...

I'm having an itch for fatt kou lately, but I think the itch is only for rice flour ones :)

Yours look really good :)

Indian Khana said...

Ah I see this cake everywhere but didn't knew this is for prosperity :)...looks yum..glad to find ur blog n to follow :)

Priya Suresh said...

Woww lovely and gorgeous cake, love the name of the cake..

noobcook said...

I didn't know it can be made so easily and baked in ramekins - more modern. I'll try it during CNY! hehe

New Kid on the Blog said...

yummy yummy!!

Anonymous said...

fatt go, my uncle makes them at home too,,,,in fact, I dont like to buy from kuih stall, but home made one taste much better, softer

xin said...

it looks really easy indeed! no need to even use oven.

Joanne said...

Brown sugar and coconut cream sound like they make for a delicious cake!

the lacquer spoon said...

Japanese also eat the similar kind of steamed cakes, but they're not named like that. Very interesting and worth a try :)

ann low said...

WOW! Looks good and sounds easy to make. Must bookmark ;D

Laetitia said...

only a few steps to enjoy this delicious cake... I definately have to try it!

Mary Bergfeld said...

There is something so charming about a cake with that name. It really sounds delicious. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

worldwindows said...

My favourite - brown, green and pink. I like them all. Addictive.

Jo said...

This seems like an easy recipe and I've been on a look-out for one too! I'll try this soon but with a mixture of gula melaka. Great pictures.

baobabs said...

I have really fond memories of eating the huat cake. My mother used to steam them and we'd spread margarine all over it and lather it into the cake so it's a wonderful mix of sweet and salty. It looks alot easier to make than I thought. Might try that as Jo suggested with gula melaka!

Little Inbox said...

Food Paradise, feel free to give it a try!

Sonia, no problem. I hope you like it.

Tigerfish, huat huat la! hehe...

Elin, I hope you will like it!

wendyywy, I have no time to make one with rice flour. So, this one suits my needs.

Little Inbox said...

Hi Priti, welcome! Thanks for following my blog.

Priya, yes it has such a nice name. :)

noobcook, to be more precise, it is steamed in ramekins, hehe...

New Kid, you like Huat Kuih? :)

SimpleGirl, with this simplified version, it is so simple to make.

Little Inbox said...

xin, yes, just use a normal wok to steam it will do.

Joanne, it is really fragrant.

the lacquer spoon, I see. I think it's origin since long ago.

Anncoo and Laetitia , give it a try!

Mary, have a nice day too!

worldwindows, I will try the green pandan flavor for the next round.:)

Jo, hmm...gula Melaka sounds great to be used. :)

baobabs, oh, aounds delicious with the spread. :)

hanushi said...

Hi Little Inbox,

Thanks a lot for sharing this recipe. I have made some and linked to you. :)

Cinderella said...

Is coconut cream santan???

Kimmy said...

Hi Little Inbox, recently saw this recipe of yours. Tried it today and the result is satisfactory. All the kuih 'smiled' prettily. Thanks for sharing this easy yet workable recipe.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails