Saturday, June 5, 2010

Tandoori Masala Chicken


The other day when I was shopping in a hypermarket, I stumbled upon the Tandoori Masala instant powder, so I bought a packet to try. Those Tandoori Masala chicken sold in Indian stall or restaurant is  either  roasted or baked in tandoor. But, for my home cooked version, I roast the chicken in my table top oven. :)

Tandoori chicken is normally served with naan. Here, I twisted it a bit. I prepare baby potato salad as a side dish to accompany the Masala chicken.

See? A plate of flavorful roast chicken leg with potato salad.


Tandoori Masala Chicken
Serves 2

Ingredients:

2 chicken leg, excess fat discarded
1tbsp of olive oil

Seasoning:

2 1/2 tbsp of Tandoori Masala seasoning
1/2 tsp of salt
100gm plain yogurt
1 tsp brown sugar
juice of 1 calamansi

Steps:

1. Marinate the chicken with all the seasoning for at least 6 hours. Preferably refrigerate overnight.

2. Preheat oven at 180 deg C.

3. Place the chicken leg in a baking tray. Pour 1 tbsp of olive oil over the chicken. Roast in the oven at 180 deg C for about 50 minutes or until the chicken is brown.

20 comments:

Noob Cook said...

yummy. love this indian classic paired with a western side dish. looks so yummy ^^

Joanne said...

I love the flavors of tandoori chicken but have no tandoor! I will have to look out for a good powder to try!

buzzingbee said...

My mum usually gets those premix packs to make tandoori chicken as well. Your meal looks yummy!

the lacquer spoon said...

I'm so lazy that a bottle of tandoori paste in my fridge helps me often, but love to try your mixture soon!

Elin Chia said...

Nice tandoori chicken you have there and homecooked too :) Yours look great like those sold in the restaurant. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Have KIV this for my next chicken meal :) Great photography:)

tigerfish said...

The last time I made similar is on fish fillets...though I know chicken tandoori is the classic. Your salad will balance the spice of the tandoori chicken, certainly.

MaryMoh said...

This looks very delicious. Love the colour. I need to go and get some tandoori paste. This would be so good with nan too.

New Kid on the Blog said...

wow.... the pic already looks great, am sure it taste good too, right?

Priya Suresh said...

Slurppp!!tempting chicken..

WendyinKK said...

Ohhh.... How nice.
I dread the food colouring laden ones. This looks good!!

Little Inbox said...

noobcook, haha I prepared the salad as side dish, as I don't know how to cook naan. Hehe...

Joanne, the tandoori paste can hardly find in hypermarkets near my place too. Finally I spotted one. :)

buzzingbee, thanks!

the lacquer spoon, can you get the tandoori masala powder there in your place?

Elin, thank you! :P

Little Inbox said...

tigerfish, can try on fish too?

MaryMoh yup, normally it is served with naan.

New Kid, haha, it tastes ok lor.

Priya, thanks. :)

wendyywy, :) Thanks.

pigpigscorner said...

I usually get Maggi tandoori seasonings, marinate it with some yogurt drink and it's yummy!

daphne said...

How easy this is? I love it- quick and easy for dinner.

Food For Tots said...

I'm sure this chicken drumstick must be very very flavourful as you had marinaded it for more than 6 hours. Love your fusion paring and beautiful photography! ;)

Little Inbox said...

pigpigscorner, Maggi? Next time I shall pay attention to figure it out. :)
Marinate it with yogurt drink? Won't it be too watery?

daphne, yes, very easy to prepare this meal. It saves me a lot of time. Hehe...

Food For Tots, it is flavorful, but the taste is not as strong as those serve in Indian restaurant. But, I prefer it in this way. :P

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I like Tandoori chicken with naan, simple delicious.

petite nyonya said...

Delicious looking tandoori roast chicken! Serve it with butter rice is so ideal!

Little Inbox said...

Sonia, yea, it taste good with naan.

petite nyonya, butter rice? Hmm...good idea!

Rajiv said...

I did grilling & oven but the chicken gets dry. A friend told me to try authentic tandoori oven and i ordered one from www.hometandoor.com The taste changes, the chicken did not dry at all and became more juicy than i could imagine.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails