Monday, February 22, 2010

Fresh Ginseng Chicken Soup 鲜人参鸡汤


I spotted fresh ginseng in a hypermarket during my weekly shopping. It's not expensive, just cost about RM5 for 50gm. Without hesitation, I bought a packet to cook fresh ginseng chicken soup.


This is not the wild ginseng, but it is planted in the rich organic soil in the forest of Changbai Mountain. According to the packaging information, the fresh ginseng is a good natural medicine for facial treatment. It can soften and refresh skin. Besides, it is the best tonic for sexual ability. :)

The soup is simmered in a double-boiler for hours. As a result, the soup base consist of clear broth. It tastes slightly sweet and bitter. The ginseng smell is mild and not over-powering. The soup can be considered as low fat and nutritious diet.


Fresh Ginseng Chicken Soup

Ingredients:

30gm of fresh ginseng
1 small-sized free range chicken, chopped into big chucks
1.5 liter of water
8 red dates, rinsed
some wolf berries
salt to taste

Method:

1. Chop the chicken into big chunks. Get it skinned and fat discarded.

2. Use double boiler, bring water to boil.

3. Add all the ingredients except salt and leave it simmering for 2 hours.

4. Skim off the scum and oil from the surface. Add salt to taste and leave the soup simmering for another 1 hour.

14 comments:

Noob Cook said...

so lucky of you to find fresh ginseng! Really love this soup, it's so nourishing and I like the slightly bitter taste.

ann low said...

WOW! This is really cheap, I don't think can get this price in Singapore. The soup is so healthy we must have this at least once a month.

Anonymous said...

wow....must get one of these if I see one...lovely soup! I love ginseng soup, ginseng tea...haha

daphne said...

That is healthy and delicious! Beautiful clean presentation =)

New Kid on the Blog said...

wah!!!!!!!! ginseng soup!!!!

tigerfish said...

So cheap? I saw similar in supermarket here and I remember it is not that cheap....

xin said...

first time i m seeing fresh ginseng! i thought all ginseng roots were dry by default?

MODERN ROBINSON CRUSOE said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MODERN ROBINSON CRUSOE said...

Ermmm I meant to say suprisingly the ginseng is cheap :)

Food For Tots said...

I think I saw it in KL before but not in Spore. Really wish to drink one bowl now. Your soup looks so nourishing!

Big Boys Oven said...

wow lovely would love to try this, where can i get this ginseng?

Little Inbox said...

BBO, I got it from Tesco.

cariso said...

I want to follow your recipe too one day!

My Little Space said...

Oh wow, fresh ginseng! Don't see it often. I love this kind of soup. Hopefully, I can get some of those fresh ginseng too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails