I bought a packet of pao flour a couple of weeks back. Initially I thought of making vegetarian steamed bun with jicama filling. However, I made excuses to delay the pao making. Later on, an idea popped up in my mind to make mantou with the help of the bread maker. Hence, the mantou making process starts...
As you can see, there's room for improvement of my skill in rolling up the 2-color dough sheets. The 2 dough failed to stick together and resulted gaps between it. So, I got the swirled bun, instead of mantou, hehe...
Chinese Steamed Bun - Mantou (Pandan Flavor)
Makes 16 mantou
500gm pao flour
240ml warm water
6gm dried yeast
50gm sunflower oil
3 tbsp fine sugar
parchment paper, cut into 5cmx5cm pieces
1. Prepare the dough in bread maker. Add warm water, sunflower oil, pao flour, sugar and dried yeast in sequence.
2. When the dough is ready, divide it into 2 equal portions.
3. Flour the tabletop, knead one portion with pandan essence.
4. Flatten the original flavored dough into rectangle sheet. Do the same to the pandan flavored dough.
5. Top the pandan dough sheet on top of the original flavored dough sheet. Roll it up tightly.
6. Cut into pieces and allocate each on a piece of parchment paper.
7. Leave it proof for another 50 minutes.
8. Steam over high heat for 15 minutes.