I cooked this dish to serve with porridge. Whenever I'm having porridge, I have basic requirement of at least 3 dishes. Fish is one of them, follow by egg and green veggies. I learned this cooking method from my mum. I twisted it a little bit to make it into my version. For example, my mum uses ginger strips, but I just use grated ginger instead. The rest of ingredients are roughly prepared based on my memory on this dish.
Fish In Soy Bean Sauce
Fish fillets, rub with salt
1 tbsp of chopped garlic
a thumb-sized ginger, peeled and grated
1 red chili, seeded and chopped
1 tbsp of fermented soy bean sauce
light soy sauce to taste
sugar to taste
200ml of water
1. Heat oil in a wok. Shallow fry the fish fillets till brown. Drain and set aside.
2. Clean the wok. Heat 2 tbsp of oil. Saute garlic, ginger, chili and soy bean sauce till fragrant.
3. Pour in water and bring to a boil.
4. Add fish fillets and leave it simmers for 5 minutes.
5. Add light soy sauce and sugar to taste.
6. Dish out and serve hot with rice.