My another attempt of making a steamed cake. This cake is specially made for my mum as she doesn't take dairy products. She is allergic to cow's milk, butter, cream, ice-cream and everything related to cow. Oh, my poor mum.
I tried to use superfine flour in this cake. The texture is different than my earlier steamed cake that was made with normal plain flour. I like its springy texture. It's definitely the healthier type of sugar-reduced cake, with very little vegetable oil. I can gobbled down 4 pieces in one go without feeling guilty. :P
Steamed Orange Cake
Make one 8”x8” square cake
(A) – prepare in a big mixing bowl
160gm Castor sugar
(B) – sifted
190gm super fine flour
¾ tsp baking powder
(C) – mixed
zest of 1 orange
4tbsp orange juice
3tbsp sunflower oil
1. Line the baking pan with baking paper.
2. Using electric mixer, beat (A) under high speed until fluffy.
3. Add (B) and beat under low speed until well mixed. Pour in (C) to mix.
4. Using a spatula, transfer the batter to the pre-lined cake pan. Loosely cover the top with aluminum foil.
5. Steam over high flame for 25 minutes.