Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sui Kow Dumpling 水饺


I left a packet of dumpling wrapper in the freezer unintentionally until I forgotten on its existence.
I found it when I was trying to search for some other thing. Since it was not expired, so I just use it up to wrap a batch of sui kow.

This is my first attempt to make sui kow. I’ve been seeing a lot version of nicely wrapped sui kow. So, I just roughly follow the way how people wrap and seal it.


Marinated prawn paste, minced meat and vegetable that is wrapped up in flour sheet. The "Sui Kow" is then boiled until floated. Best to serve in soup or with noodle.

Sui Kow Dumpling 水饺
Makes 15 dumplings

Ingredients:
Dumpling wrapper
1 liter water
(A)
150gm minced pork
100gm prawns, shelled ( put in a plastic bag and flatten by meat tenderizer)
1 dried shiitake mushroom, dehydrated and chopped
20gm of carrot, peeled and grated
1 stalk of spring onion, chopped
(B)
1 tbsp of light soy sauce
1 tbsp of Shao Xin wine
1tsp of oyster sauce
dashes of pepper
1 tsp of sesame oil

Steps:
1. Add (A) in a big missing bowl.
2. Marinate (A) with (B) and let in stand for 30 minutes in fridge.
3. On a clean chopping board, put a dumpling wrapper. Add 3/4 tbsp of fillings to the center of the wrapper. Apply water to the half-circle edge of wrapper, and fold it into half. Seal up the edge. Continue to make other sui kow dumpling until you finish up the fillings.
4. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Throw all the dumplings in the boiling water. Once it floated, considers it's cooked.
5. Serve it in soup or with noodle.

17 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Simply delicious, dumplings tempts me a lot..

Cuisine Paradise said...

Delicious!!! Indeed a quick and easy comfort food..

ann low said...

Yes looks very delicious! and it is so nicely wrapped :)

Anonymous said...

i love dumpling to the core! urs is nicely wrapped! excellent!

Cooking Gallery said...

You just made one of my favourite dumplings!! Love sui kow, especially with noodles and soup :D).

tigerfish said...

I always like to do them in batches and they can be really quick and easy for weekday meals, and no less delicious and comforting :D

Jeannie said...

Wow! very nicely done! I am craving for some chinese food now! These looks delicious!

daphne said...

it looks sooo nicely pleated! Mine is just stick both ends together ;P

Blackswan said...

Very skillful work indeed! I can see u've got a long list of fave blogrolls. Thks for sharing :)

Elin said...

Well done!!! like those served in dim sum restaurant...infact yours looks better and I bet it tasted good too :) Love the pleats and I am going to try this..thanks for sharing the recipe.

Maris (In Good Taste) said...

First attempt?! These are fantastic!

Juliana said...

Oh! Your dumplings look so yummie, love homemade ones. Nice pictures as well. Have a great week ahead :-)

mycookinghut said...

Delicious! I really love this, well done!!

envierecipes said...

Saw your photo on Foodgawker and had to stop by to see your post. I serve a lot of dumplings here in North Carolina and am always trying to convince people that they are not really hard to make. Yours are lovely and your photography is delicious!

Joanne said...

Your dumplings are adorable! I love those crimped edges.

Anonymous said...

I like the fried ones more :)

petite nyonya said...

wow, these are made to perfection!pleated nicely too! don't think i can master half of this perfection. very nice!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails