Sunday, October 25, 2009

Flour Vermicelli In Chicken Soup

My definition of comfy food: Does not require lots of exertion in cooking, not too strong in taste but delicious, simple ingredients but nourishing, and of course it must be a healthy and balanced diet. Flour vermicelli in chicken soup fulfill all of the criteria above. Hence, it's no other than my favorite comfort food.

Flour vermicelli also known as mee suah is one of dried noodles that is always available in my pantry. The noodles comes in bundles, in a form of thin and white noodles made of rice flour. Due to its fragility, it must be gently handled. You'll just need few seconds to cook it in boiling water and it'll expand due to its ability to absorb liquid. So, to savor this soft but springy noodles, it's advisable to consume immediately after cooking. Otherwise, it'll turn soggy. :P

Coincidentally on the day that I boiled this free-range chicken soup, one of my colleague offered me some organic chicken eggs. So, I hard-boiled it to serve with the meal. Hard-boiled egg is a usual companion of flour vermicelli soup. Serve it with some greens, mmmhmmm..that's called comforting homey meal.

I'm submitting the dish to PPN#137 founded by Ruth from Once Upon A Feast and hosted by Cook (Almost) Anything.

Flour Vermicelli In Chicken Soup
Serves 2

Ingredients:


Half of free-range chicken, skinned and chop into 2 pieces
some Chinese cabbage
2 organic chicken eggs
4 bundles of mee suah
900ml of water

Seasoning:

1 tbsp of sesame oil
1 tbsp of oyster sauce
dash of white pepper
salt to taste

Method:

1. Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat. Simmer the chicken for about 45 minutes under low flame. Skim off the scum and oil from the surface. Add seasoning and simmer for another 5 minutes before serving.

2. In another small pot, bring water to a boil. Hard-boil the eggs. Drain and leave it cool. Peel the shell, and half into 2. Set aside.

3. Blanch some Chinese cabbage over the boiling water and set aside.

4. Boil the flour vermicelli, serve in bowl and pour the chicken soup over it. Serve it with chicken, egg, and Chinese cabbage.

20 comments:

ann low said...

How nice if I can have a bowl right now for my breakfast. Looks so delicious!

cherry potato said...

It this for my breakfast ah? hehehe,look yummy yummy oh....

New Kid on the Blog said...

Geee.... you're a good cook la!

tigerfish said...

I had organic hard-boiled eggs today too! And also noodles! Just no chicken and veg :O

MODERN ROBINSON CRUSOE said...

Your posting makes me "miss" mee suah :-) Long time no sut liao

Elin Chia said...

Hey, that's my favourite comfort food...great presentation...well done and thaks for sharing the recipe :) Btw, I had vermicelli just a few days back :))

Reanaclaire said...

wow..another food blog i would like to follow... great food stuff over here i can learn... btw, i m from IPOH...

my personal blog www.reanaclaire.com

my food blog : www.letswallop.blogspot.com

MeRy said...

I lvoe this dishes...yummy!

Little Inbox said...

Anncoo and cherry Potato, yahor, suits for breakfast too...:)

New Kid, I only know simple stuffs only lar. Still the beginner stage.

Tigerfish, I see, what a coincident.

Little Inbox said...

MRC, can't find any mee suah near you place there?

Elin, long time not hearing from you. Yes, I saw your mee suah dish last few days.

reanaclaire, thanks dropping by yea. Previously I hopped to your food blog which I read bout your frustration on the Penang hawker food. Sorry to hear that.

MeRy, it's not so difficult to cook mee suah. Try it out!

daphne said...

oooo.. Simple and comforting-how much better can it get?

Anonymous said...

love ur photo and i am sur e this healthy bowl of vermicelli is my cup of tea!!!!

Anonymous said...

love ur photo and i am sur e this healthy bowl of vermicelli is my cup of tea!!!!

-j- said...

i love the photo!!! very very nice!!!! and food looks good too!!!

Little Inbox said...

daphne, :~) simple delicious!

SimpleGirl, need to take more healthy food to promote good health, right?

Duckie, thanks. :)

Noob Cook said...

beautiful bowl of noodles! It has everything I want in a bowl of mee suah. Your version resembles the longevity noodles too coz of the hard boiled eggs :)

Babe_KL said...

nice bowl of noodles. the egg is perfectly done ;-)

Little Inbox said...

noobcook and babe_kl, thanks for your complements. :)

Ruth Daniels said...

I feel better just looking at it
;-)

Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

Little Inbox said...

Ruth, no problem. It's my pleasure!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails