Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Lemon Cake Baked In Rice Cooker 电饭锅做蛋糕



A couple of weeks ago, I discovered a new method of baking a cake through here. I guess not many of us know about it, including me. But I learned and successfully baked a cake using my Panasonic microcomputer rice cooker.



Microcomputer rice cooker is super intelligent. Furthermore the inner pot is Diamond Fluorine coated, so it's a non stick pot. I manage to flip the cake from the pot without any problem. As you can see, the above photo is the bottom side of the cake.


This is the top view of the cake.

The cake texture is in between chiffon cake and margarine cake. It's moist and fluffy. I simply came out with my own recipe for the experiment. I keep the recipe simple with the essentials in kitchen. You'll just need flour, sugar, eggs and vegetable oil. To add a hint of fruit flavor, I added the lemon rind and lemon juice. I quite like this type of cake, because it contains no margarine, no cream and no butter, just the vegetable oil. It's definitely healthier.

With this, it marked a new record in my baking journey since July 2009. Although I'm just a newbie in baking, but I slowly gain my interest in it. I will slowly polish up my skill to go for more variety of cakes.

Lemon Cake
Yields for 12 pieces

Ingredients:

4 grade A eggs
180gm self raising flour, sifted
120gm fine sugar
50gm sunflower oil
1 lemon, finely grated zest
2tbsp lemon juice

Method:

1. Beat the eggs and Caster sugar under high speed until fluffy.

2. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice. Fold in the sifted flour with plastic spatula.

3. Pour in the sunflower oil and mix well with spatula.

4. Using spatula, transfer the batter into inner pot of rice cooker. Give the pot a few good shake to remove the air trapped in the batter.

5. Bake the cake using "quick cook" menu.

6. When it's done, leave it cool. Upside turn the pot to leave the cake bottom-up a big plate.

16 comments:

ann low said...

WOW! This is definitely a new creation. My rice cooker is not Panasonic brand, wonder its work.

rice cookers said...

Honestly speaking, I am always thinking, "Is it possible to bake in rice cooker?"

That is why I am very thankful with your blog because my question was finally answered.

I am hoping to see more of your nice blogs in the near future, also if you are interested to buy a new rice cooker I suggest that you go to this site www.steamersandricecookers.com I bet that site can help you.

Thanks again!

Selba said...

That looks so good!

ai wei said...

COOL! haha, with rice cooker. that's great

Anonymous said...

wow, that's new to me.....less tedious also ya!!!thanks for sharing!

New Kid on the Blog said...

Cool!!! :)

Food For Tots said...

Wow! It's cool but I dun have a rice cooker. ;) You are so talented! Only a few months, u have improved so much in baking and now can even come out with your own recipe! I really salute you!

Little Inbox said...

Anncoo, thanks for commenting here.
This method is not from me. I learned from the video in youtube.
Micro computer rice cooker is more reliable I guess.

rice cookers, thanks for dropping by.

Selba, thank you. :)

Little Inbox said...

ai wei & new kid, cool ler...hehehe...

SimpleGirl, yes less tedious and easy to handle too.

Food For Tots, just simple recipe, try try and see if ok. Experimenting, haha...

Babe_KL said...

gosh this is so good. wished i hv such rice cooker

Pari Vasisht said...

Hi! Thanks for dropping by. This cooker version of Lemon Cake is completely new to me. Keep visiting.

Little Inbox said...

babe_kl & Pari, thanks for dropping by. I've been using the rice cooker since a year ago. Till recently only discover this method of making cake. :)

Unknown said...

thankyou so much little inbox
this was the first thing i did in my brand new rice cooker and was a big hit. the cake was fluffy and tasted awesome thankyou so much pls give more ricecooker recipes.......

Anonymous said...

hello there! i was wondering.. i have a panasonic rice cooker as well and it bakes cakes as well but i dont think its the same as yours.. do you think it would work?

Unknown said...

hi there i was wondering if can i substitute the sunflower oil to butter? if can how much?
and also i have a panasonic brand rice cooker but i dont think its the same one as yours? do you think it will work?

Emily said...

Hi! I've tried baking this cake twice because I love lemon stuff and baking in my rice cooker. The first time, it didn't work because (as a new cake-baker) I didn't realize how important "folding in" ingredients was. The second time, I followed the directions more carefully. But when I folded in the flour, it didn't mix properly and I was left with a lot of lumps. Determined not to ruin it by not folding this time, I added the oil, whisked *a little* and let it bake. The cake was slightly fluffier, but it sank in the middle (which happened last time as well) and was still pretty dense. Do you have any tips for successfully baking this recipe? The only difference I can tell is that I don't have your particular kind of rice cooker, but I'm not sure that's the issue. I love baking, but am kind of an amateur, so any help would really be appreciated. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails