Sunday, October 11, 2009

Vegetarian Golden Mushroom


Mushroom is usually prepared as a side dish more often than not. So, this time I'm going to let them take the center stage for once. This afternoon I was mulling about how to turn my recently purchased button mushrooms into something simple yet appetizing dish, so I dig into some recipe books and came out with my version of vegetarian mushroom.
Firstly, the grated ginger and sesame oil added will lend a unique flavor to this simple mushroom dish. Secondly, frying the fresh button mushrooms will retain their tender texture while keeping the mushrooms juicy inside. Combining these two and what we'll have is a healthy dish with very little additives. So let's savor the dish and boost our body with a good source of nutrients and antioxidant.
Vegetarian Golden Mushroom
Serves 2

Ingredients:

4 fresh white button mushrooms
4 fresh brown button mushrooms
100ml of water
1 tbsp of corn starch, diluted in 2 tbsp of water
4cm² ginger, grated
1 big scoop of cooking oil
Spring onion

Seasoning:
1 tbsp of vegetarian oyster sauce
1 tsp sesame oil

Method:

1. Clean the mushrooms, Trim off few millimeter from the stalk. Pat dry with kitchen tower and make shallow cuts on caps.

2. Heat oil in a wok and fry the mushroom till golden. Remove and set aside.

3. Leave about 1 tbsp of oil in the wok and saute grated ginger till fragrant. Add the fried mushrooms and seasoning to mix well. Pour in the water and bring to boil.

4. Add the corn starch and stir fry to thicken the sauce. Dish out and garnish with spring onion. Serve with rice.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

today only i read in reader's digest about the health benefit of mushroom....and now seeing ur recipe...i must cook some for tomm's dinner, perhaps

ann low said...

This is a beautiful and healthy dish. Thanks for sharing.

-j- said...

oooo very nice!!! i love mushrooms!!!

buzzingbee said...

looks so delicious!!!
I'm a mushroom-lover :)

Little Inbox said...

SimpleGirl, yes mushroom is one of the health food. Aid in Cancer prevention, high in protein and vitamins.

Anncoo, no problem. It's my pleasure to share my simple recipe here.

Duckie, yay! Give me 5!

buzzingbee, me too! :P

Selba said...

It looks so yummy!

Tummythoz said...

Think it'll be just as good with shitake or Chinese black mushrooms?

Big Boys Oven said...

aweosme, looks simple and delicious!

Little Inbox said...

Selba, I should thank my hubby who lend a helping hand for the photography. :P

Tummythoz, may be. Let me try out to get the answer, ok? I think most of the fresh mushrooms can be used.

BBO, thank you! :)

Unknown said...

yummy.... i loves all sort of mushrooms.

cariso said...

I love mushroooms too! Don't you have the shot showing the inside one?

Dora said...

Wow! So meaty and juicy! yummy

New Kid on the Blog said...

how did you make such curly spring onions ah??? very nice leh, it's just like restaurant food. :)

Noob Cook said...

wow, you turn a simple ingredient like button mushroom into something classy and beautiful. Love the scallions garnishings, it looks delish =D

Little Inbox said...

food paradise, me too. I like mushroom very much!

cariso, i don't have any photos showing inside. Next time I'll remember to take one.

dora, thanks.

new kid, you have to slice thin & quickly length-wise to make it curly. Restaurant food? No lar, pai seh nia, still beginner stage.

noobcook, you can try make some too

Gladys Kock said...

You did turn a simple and humble ingredients into enticing dish. A great presentation!

Medifast Coupon said...

What a pretty dish!

Anonymous said...

Hi I am new to your blog. I saw these mushrooms and they look like one of my favorite restaurant dish which make me eager to try. In step three, do I pot all the ingredients and bring to a boil in the wok? Does that make the sauce? Thank you so much for this recipe!

Little Inbox said...

Yes, step 3 is to make the sauce. Hope you like the dish!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails