Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Potato, Mushroom and Chicken Stew


After a month of ordering vegetarian rice for lunch during working days, I feel bored. I need something more flavorful to cheer up my taste buds. So, I took a break from the set lunch catering. Instead of dine out for hawker food, I made up my mind to bring my own bento to work. Let's see how determine I am. 

I find it difficult to wake up early in the morning to prepare my bento. So, I prepare some dishes the night before, heat it up the next morning. Then, I prepare steamed rice and some blanched vegetables. I pack up all the above in a multi-layer thermo pot, and my bento is ready. 

That's not a scrumptious meal, but I'm proud of my lunch box. The blanched Holland peas remained crunchy. The potato, mushroom and free range chicken taste as good as the night before. I'm satisfied with this dish alone with rice.

Potato, Mushroom and Chicken Stew
Serves 4-5

Ingredients:
1 free range/ organic chicken, skinned and chopped into pieces
2 potatoes (avoid the starchy type), peeled and cut into pieces
3 dried mushroom, dehydrated, drained and cut into thick strips
6 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
2 slices of ginger
3 tbsp of cooking oil
600ml of water

Seasonings:
1 tbsp of oyster sauce
1 tsp of dark soy sauce
light soy sauce to taste
1/2 tsp of sugar

Garnishing:
Holland pea, blanched
Carrot strips, blanched

Steps:
1. Half-boil the potato in a pot of hot boiling water. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a wok. Saute garlic, ginger mushroom till fragrant. Add chicken to fry for 3 minutes.
3. Then add potato to mix. Pour in water. Leave the mixture to simmer for 10 minutes with the lid cover.
4. Stir in seasonings. Leave it simmers till sauce thickening.
5. Dish out, garnished with blanched vegetables and serve hot with rice.

18 comments:

WendyinKK said...

I can never wake up ahead to prepare food... I'm too lazy.
Salute u la.

foongpc said...

Looks very delicious to me!! : )

Pam said...

It sounds and looks delicious and I bet it is great with the giner! Yum!!!

Cooking Gallery said...

It's got all of my favourtie ingredients inside, must be very yummy...!

Stella said...

I'd be proud of this too, Little Inbox. In fact, you've been posting some seriously delicious and beautiful looking food lately. All I can say is 'I would eat it;-)!!!'

Priya Suresh said...

Yumm,thats a irresistible stew,very inviting..

tigerfish said...

This is also a kind of dish that tastes better the next day after reheating. Yes? No?

Anonymous said...

wow, give me a bowl of rice...please, this dish is perfect for me,wholesome

Joanne said...

Oh this stew looks so good! I would love to take a bowl for lunch!

Quay Po Cooks said...

I can pratically live on stew, this one? anytime:D

Blackswan said...

This is your lunch box?? Gosh, what a wonderful 1-dish meal! Well done :)

Anonymous said...

Comfort food! :)

pigpigscorner said...

So good with rice!

Only Fish Recipes said...

wow....your recipe looks so fav !!!!got to try it sometimes....
do visit my blog at http://onlyfishrecipes.blogspot.com/and let me know your valuable comments!

daphne said...

I thought that was sweet potato in the stew ;) but i love how u used ginger in this as well. I guess i wouldnt resist putting dom in it! LOL must be the 2 big bottles sitting in my cupboard. Looks good with rice or even porridge.

ann low said...

I love everything in that bowl, looks very delicious :))

Food For Tots said...

I didn't put any efforts to make lunch bento for myself when I was working. But I think I will need to do this soon when my son goes to P1. No way to escape! ;)

Noob Cook said...

I like this stew which has a bit of everything - potato, veg and chicken. This is good!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails