Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Nagaimo Soup (Slow Cooker Recipe) 淮山、杞子、红枣汤


These days I don't have time to boil soup during weekdays. Soup boiling at home is only limited to once or twice a week over the the weekend. This Nagaimo soup was my creation last Sunday. I called up hubby to buy some Nagaimo when he was out to the wet market. I always have add on to my shopping list from my ad-hoc  inspiration. :-)

Nagaimo is good for girl's growth as it helps to generate female hormone that aids in breast and ovary forming. That's what I learned from a Traditional Chinese Medicine. If you are worried if the Nagaimo is too cooling, you can always add some white pepper corns or ginger to the dish. That is what I did for this soup. 

Nagaimo Soup

Ingredients:
180gm of nagaimo, skinned and cut into bite size
250gm of pork ribs, blanched in boiling water
8 red dates
1 tbsp of goji berries
1/2 tsp of cracked white pepper corns (optional)
2 slices of ginger
1.3ml of hot water

Seasonings:
salt to taste

Steps:
1. Pour hot water into the slow cooker pot.
2. Add all ingredients. Leave it simmers for 3 hours.
3. Add salt to taste and serve hot.

15 comments:

Cuisine Paradise said...

I love this soup. I always cook for my boy which is good for his appetite and strength intestine according to one of the Chinese physician.

New Kid on the Blog said...

what is the benefit of this soup?

WendyinKK said...

I love fresh nagaimo.
But I haven't try using it in soups yet.

daphne said...

I wouldnt have know that about Nagaimo! I learn something new today!

tigerfish said...

I enjoy nagaimo with chicken in soups a lot! But it is the first time I heard it is good for girl's growth :O ...so is it like tofu myth's - better for girls than for boys? (due to what it does to hormones?)

cherry potato said...

很喜欢如此清淡的汤水,谢谢你分享的食谱。新鲜的淮山在我这里卖得比较贵,我将会尝试褒这汤。

Anonymous said...

This looks so delicious. I can't wait to try it!

My Little Space said...

This soup is perfect for anytime espeically under this kind of hot wave. Thanks for sharing & have a lovely day.
Kristy

kitchen flavours said...

Delicious bowl of soup! Nutritious too!

Quay Po Cooks said...

I could drink soup everyday especially on crazy hot weather like now. I have not used Nagaimo before, this is a must try soup recipe for me. Thanks for sharing. I like the photos, they are visually appealing.

Maris (in Good Taste) said...

This is an interesting soup!

Noob Cook said...

recently i have been too busy too cook and blog, I think this slow cooker recipe is perfect for me. looks so nutritious :)

MeRy said...

The soup looks yummy.

What is Nagaimo?

Dora said...

My chef cook this sometimes too. Very nourishing.

Joanne said...

Slow cookers definitely save my life constantly. This soup looks fabulous!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails