I learned this dish from a Taiwan cooking show. What caught my attention is the simple ingredients and easy cooking method. I made a twist to garnish the dish with home grown spring onion, instead of leek, since I don't have it on hand.
Verdict? Yes. The radish is very delicious, and the pork belly turned out to be soft and flavorful. I even keep some for the next day bento to work.
Radish and Pork Belly 萝卜烧肉
300gm of pork belly
1 radish, peeled and cut into pieces (use cut and tear method）
3 slices of ginger
1 stalk of spring onion, cut into long strips
2 tbsp of cooking oil
400ml of water
1 tbsp of light soy sauce
1 tsp of dark soy sauce
Light soy sauce to taste
1 tsp of sugar
dash of white pepper powder
1. Marinate the pork belly with a tbsp of light soy sauce and dark soy sauce each. Leave for 10 minutes.
2. Heat up oil in the wok. Fry the ginger till fragrant. Brown the pork belly.
3. Add radish, a tbsp of light soy sauce, white pepper powder to mix.
4. Pour in water and cover the lid. Leave it simmers under medium heat for about 20 minutes.
5. Finally add light soy sauce to taste (if required) and a tsp of sugar. Continue to cook till you hear the sizzling sound. Garnish with spring onion. Serve hot with rice.