Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Assam Curry Fish


Assam curry is the type of spicy tamarind soured curry. This Nyonya- style curry is suitable for seafood like fish, prawn and squid. It does not contain coconut milk or condense milk. But with the taste of assam (tamarind), this curry is very appetizing. This is the type of curry that my mum used to make for the family. I learned from mum on the steps, and I made my own version of assam curry. 

See my bowl of mouth-watering assam curry fish?


Assam Curry Fish
Serves 3 to 4

Ingredients:
2 thick slices of fish fillet, sprinkled with salt and set aside
6-8 lady's finger
1 onion, peeled and diced
1 tomato, diced
2 stalk of lemon grass, get the white portion bruised
6 Kaffir lime leaves
1/2 of ginger flower, halved
fresh curry paste (bought from market)
belacan (optional)
450ml water
cooking oil

Seasonings:
Light soy sauce or salt
sugar
2 tbsp of tamarind pulp with half cup of water (mix and strain the juice)

Garnishing:
Mint leaves

Steps:

1. Heat up the wok with enough oil. Stir fry the onion, Kaffir lime leave, lemon grass and curry paste for few minutes until fragrant.

2. Add water and bring to a boil. Add ginger flower, lady's finger, tomato and fish to simmering for about 5 minutes. Add tamarind juice, salt and sugar to taste.

3. When everything is cooked, turn off the flame. Dish out and serve hot with rice.

26 comments:

Selba said...

Wow.. looks so delicious!

Noob Cook said...

I love assam anything. Your fish assam looks incredible... I have to try this soon :)

WendyinKK said...

I can't cook this at home.
Hubby dun like sour stuff.
Sad case for me. I love assam fish.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks and sounds so appetizing. It must be delicious. I've only used tamarind in my cooking for a year or so, but have really grown to love it. I like the way you have used it here. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Anonymous said...

good share, i love the fact that this is the recipe withoutt coconut milk,.....healthier

Food For Tots said...

I don't think I have the talent to whip up such a mouth-watering assam dish. But I know for sure I can finish this big bowl if you make some for me. Kekeke!

ann low said...

Mmm...this is very appetizing with the assam in the curry. Love to have extra rice with this delicious curry.

Little Inbox said...

Selba, yes this is a very appetizing tamarind-soured curry.

noobcook, ok, feel free to give it a try!

wendyywy, you can cook a small portion for you own rather than giving up your favorite food because of hubby.

Mary, nice to hear that you like tamarind in your cooking too. :)
You too, have a nice day!

Little Inbox said...

SimpleGirl, with tamarind, it's even healthier. :)

Food For Tots, why not? This is not tough provided you can get the fresh curry paste from the wet market. I found a reliable curry paste stall here.

Anncoo, yup, I was trying hard to control the rice intake while having this. :) I love the curry gravy.

Anonymous said...

Delicious assam curry :) I like curries with lots of okra.

Priya Suresh said...

Finger licking fish, looks fabulous..

WendyinKK said...

Haha, No point cooking small portion for myself, I'll find chances to cook sour stuff, esp when friends come over :)

BTW, may I ask how often do you travel to KL? We are having a small blogger meeting in Aug, wondering if you want to join us, please reply by commneting on my blog.

MaryMoh said...

Mmm....my favourite. I have to cook a big pot of rice if I cook this. It's so appetising and delicious. Yours looks really, really good...mmmm

tigerfish said...

Give me anything Assam....I will fight with noobcook for it :)

Little Inbox said...

Mei Teng, I like it too provided it's not over-cooked.

Priya, thanks.

Wendyywy, nice to hear that.
By the way, I seldom travel down to KL. I'm afraid that I can join the gathering. Will reply you in your blog comment.

MaryMoh, I can even eat rice with the curry gravy itself, hehe...

tigerfish, fight for a bowl of assam curry, hehe...

J2Kfm said...

Gorgeous shots. I don't cook, but I really like your pics. :)

Babe_KL said...

i love anything assam :D

MeRy said...

Yummy...will try it out one day..

MeRy said...

Yummy...will try it out one day..

mysimplefood said...

Looks absolutely yummy. Make me miss Malaysia cos all these food are readily available. Now here, I have to make it myself. Will have to try you recipe. Looks so good.

MODERN ROBINSON CRUSOE said...

The picture enough to make one salivate (air liur came out) ...Nice

rokh said...

wow your food presentation and photography is really but I must say the food sound mouth watering too. I think I am tempted to attempt this dish :)

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site eatingpleasure.blogspot.com
Is this possible?

Little Inbox said...

Anonymous, what is your url? I only link food blogs.

Amy Yummylicious said...

Hi,

I would like to try your assam fish recipes. it states that belacan is optional. but if i decide to add. How much i need to add?? pls advise. thanks

Little Inbox said...

Amy, did you the belacan in the picture? That's the amount that I added.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails