Monday, July 19, 2010

Braised Pork Belly In Soy Sauce (Tau Eu Bak)


Although my mum has been cooking this dish for us since my childhood days, I still have no idea how my mum did it. That was until last week, when I finally asked my mum on the cooking steps and seasonings.  Today I cook the dish for the first time and tada......it tastes as good as my mum's version. Yummy :)

I love all the ingredients added to the dish, like pork belly, hard-boiled egg, pork skin, fried beancurd, mushroom and dried cuttle fish (I omit this). Serve it with rice or porridge, and I'm more than happy.

Braised Pork In Soy Sauce
Serves 4

Ingredients:

300g pork belly, cut into bite-size
10" x 2" pork skin, cut into bite-size, excess fat removed
2 hard beancurd, cut into 4 each and shallow-fried till golden brown
4 hard-boiled egg, shelled
3 dried shiitake mushrooms, hydrated, stalk removed and quartered
5 cloves of garlic, peeled
800ml water
2 tbsp of dark soy sauce
4 tbsp of light soy sauce

Steps:

1. Marinate pork belly with dark soy sauce and light soy sauce. Let it stand for 30 minutes.

2. Bring water to boil in a pot. Add the pork skin and garlic and leave it simmers for 20 minutes. Pour in the pork belly and marinade. Bring to a boil. Add fried beancurd and leave it simmering for 35 minutes. Stir from time to time.

3. Add hard-boiled eggs and mushrooms. Simmers for another 10-15 minutes. Best serve with rice or porridge.

Note:
This dish should have some soy sauce gravy. You can top up water from time to time and adjust the saltiness based on your preference.

21 comments:

MeRy said...

Yummy..I love this dish.

New Kid on the Blog said...

gotta save this recipe and cook it when my kitchen is ready. :)

Elin Chia said...

I love this dish especially when I am feeling lethargy...ths is so authentic...exactly like my grandma used to cook. Eat this with plain teochew porridge...yummy ! Cheers me up with this even though I am just drooling at it :)

Little Inbox said...

MeRy, I see. Do you try to cook it before?

New Kid, great! Anticipate to see your home cooked dishes. :) We can exchange recipes then.

Elin, haha...young ppl like me can also cook authentic dish like your grandma. Not bad huh? :D

Unknown said...

My mom has some recipes that she cooks that no matter how hard I try, when she makes it, it is always better. Maybe it is all the love she puts in it.

xin said...

i love this dish too, but there is a certain part of pork that i love it the most with this dish, it is not the pork belly, according to my mom, it is a part near the knee joint. So it looks like one huge meat ball on its own, the texture is so Q and tender because of the muscle! but i heard that it is rare and a pig only has few of that.

pigpigscorner said...

I love this dish too! So good with rice. I have to add pork skin too next time. What's the flower(?) you used to gardish the dish?

mysimplefood said...

This is also a regular dish at my home. My grandma, and my mom and now I make it. It is so yummy especially when you put the gravy on the eggs. Yums Yums! Love this dish!

Little Inbox said...

Linda, even for a same recipe, the taste that cook by each of us may be different too. Skill plays an important role.

xin, I see. :) the knee's part. I'll ask my mum and the butcher then.

pigpigscorner, that's not flower. It's made of spring onion and bird's eye chili. :) Is it nice?

mysimplefood, I see. The eggs are the kids favorite. :)

tigerfish said...

Been some time since I have this. Craving now....:(

maameemoomoo said...

I love this!

A winner through and though. Lovely photo :)

Anonymous said...

My family cooks this dish with chicken. Tastes equally good too. Great comfort food :)

Anonymous said...

one of grandma's best dish as well...simply lovely, but we'll add egg as well

Joanne said...

Salty fatty delicious. The perfect combination of flavors!

natalie said...

yum! i make the vietnamese version of this...it's one of my go-to dishes when i want a good ol' fashioned homemade meal!!

MaryMoh said...

My favourite dish! It's so good with rice...mmm

Little Inbox said...

tigerfish, never mind, it's so simple to cook. You can plan to cook it soon.

maameemoomoo, hi, thanks for dropping by.

Mei Teng, I see. :) First time seeing you here, welcome!

Little Inbox said...

SimpleGirl, I have eggs too. Don't you see it?

Joanne, oh yes, absolutely!

natalie, I see. :) Nice to see you here! :)

It's good to go with porridge too. :)

Noob Cook said...

I grew up on this dish as well. I can just drink the gravy and drown it in rice. Yours look yummy :)

daphne said...

hehehe love this for sure! My version was with pork shoulder but my grandma uses pork belly too.

Little Inbox said...

noobcook, most of us know this dish well. :)

daphne, pork shoulder, ok. I'll ask my mum what it call in Hokkien, hehe...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails