Friday, July 16, 2010

Blueberry Muffins


I came across this blueberry muffins recipe in Noobcook. I was drooling over the yummy looking muffins with juicy blueberries oozing out. Unfortunately, it was not easy to get fresh and cheap imported blueberries in Penang. I'm so disappointed until last few days when hubby brought back a tub of 125g blueberry. :) Hurray, finally I can hands on to make my own blueberry muffins.

I'm not good in baking. The muffins that I made in the past were either too hard or without the "dome" shape. I was lucky enough to have Food 4 Tots pointed out the possibilities of my mistake. She told me it could be due to the measurement, the pan, the mixing method and the baking temperature. This time, I take note all the above and follow on trust-able recipe by Noobcook, I can now announce that I've successfully baked a batch of fluffy and nice looking muffins! Can you imagine how happy I am? :D


Blueberry Muffins (Recipe adapted from Noobcook)
Yields for 5 big muffins and 4 small muffins

Ingredients


1 1/2 cups (190g) plain flour
1 1/2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1 cup (225g) caster sugar
125g blueberries
1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
65 grams melted butter at room temperature


Steps:

1. Sift flour, baking powder and sugar together, and mix well.

2. Add in milk, vanilla extract, eggs and butter and stir until just blended (and lumpy). Be careful not to over mix as it will result in a tough texture.

3. Fold in the blueberries into the mixture. Place baking cases in muffin tins. Spoon the mixture into the cases till almost full.

4. Bake for 20 minutes in preheated oven of 200C (400F) or until slightly golden brown. Allow to rest for several minutes before serving.

A note from Noobcook:
Store for a day in an airtight container. Freeze extras in ziplock bags and whenever you need a muffin or two, toast them for a few minutes in the oven till they are warm.

22 comments:

Elin Chia said...

Hi Little Inbox...well done on achieving a fluffy and soft muffin. I can understand the joy :) I was like too when I get a good bake :) And I will talk none stop to my gal and she will roll her eyes hahaha . Using fressh berries will make the muffins taste better too :)

Looking forward to more sharing from you. As usual fantastic photography :)

Priya Suresh said...

Elegant and gorgeous muffins..

pigpigscorner said...

Well done! They look really good!

WendyinKK said...

I'll like them browner, cos I like brown crust on my cakes and bakes.

This time you baked nice muffins, next time you'll bake something else, and you'll do it well.

Alina said...

And I love the delicate pastel colour of your muffins! Looks very elegant and sort of feminine!

MaryMoh said...

This blueberry muffin has been on my to do list for along time. Thanks for another reminder! Beautiful photos...muffins look delicious!

Pam said...

Oh, they look perfect and you did a fine job of baking them! Blueberries are the best! Have a great weekend!

ann low said...

I still have some frozen blueberry in my freezer. The boys will definitely love this.

Cookie said...

We're lucky to have blueberries on sale here in California since they're very abundant in the summer! Congrats on making some yummy muffins!

tigerfish said...

At least you tried and you succeeded. :D

Aaron John said...

These look delicious!! They look so perfect. I love your pictures of the muffins as well. Blueberry muffins are my fav! :)
Would you mind checking out my blog? :D http://ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com/

Indian Khana said...

Looks delicious and love the pic...

Joanne said...

There is nothing like waking up to a soft and fluffy blueberry muffin! I'm so glad you posted these. They look scrumptious.

Food For Tots said...

I'm so glad to hear your success story. I really admire your strong determination. Your muffins showed a very nice dome effect! Looking forward to seeing more muffin recipes from your blog soon.

Little Inbox said...

Food For Tots, appreciate for your help. Thanks a lot. :)

Noob Cook said...

beautiful! I'm not good at baking too, and this is the only muffin recipe I dare to make repeatedly hehe... glad it works for you too. having a successful bake gives some confidence to try baking other stuff. thanks for the mention :)

Little Inbox said...

noobcook, appreciate that you share the recipe. I really love it!

Anonymous said...

Hi, is it possible to replace the plain flour with cake flour? Thanks!

Little Inbox said...

Anonymous, yes you can, but you have to reduce the baking powder accordingly since cake flour already premix with baking powder.

Anonymous said...

I see. So instead of adding 1/2 tbsp of baking powder, can you advise me on the amount of baking powder to be used? Sry, I'm still a beginner. Hope to hear from you asap! Thanks! :)

Little Inbox said...

Anonymous, I'm not expert in baking either. :P
Info that I got is 1 cup self-rising cake flour contains 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.

susan said...

I had baked muffins several times from ready mixed which were easy, tasty and cost only C$1.50. Today I tried your blueberry recipe and they tasted very good with reduced sugar. Surprisingly the 2nd batch looked much better and firmer than the first because I baked them for 22 minutes. Your blueberry muffins looked better than your banana muffins which should split and not smooth on top. Accordingly, one should fill the paper cup 3/4 full and the oven should set @400F for shining muffin tray & 420F for dark muffin tray. Hope this helps.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails