I adore the traditional way of preparing chicken stew. But, I do not have patience with the long hours of simmering. So, this is a short-cut in making a pot of chicken stew. It can be done is just 20 minutes! If you are looking for a healthy and balanced diet, this is a good dish to serve with rice.
Half of chicken breast, skinned and cubed
1 potato, peeled and cubed
half carrot, peeled and cubed
1 broccoli stem, cubed
5 dried shiitake mushroom, soaked, drained, stalk removed and quartered
2 baby corn, sliced horizontally
1 onion, peeled and diced
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
1.5 tbsp of corn starch, mixed in 4 tbsp of water
1 liter of water
2 tbsp of cooking oil
Seasoning:2 tbsp of oyster sauce
1tbsp of light soy sauce
1 tbsp of sesame oil
1. Marinate chicken cubes with sesame oil and light sauce and leave aside.
2. Boil broccoli stem, baby corn, carrot and potato until soft. Dish out and leave aside. Retain 300ml of the water for use later.
3. Heat up oil in a wok. Saute garlic and onion until slightly brown.
4. Stir in chicken and fry until half cooked.
5. Add veggies and stir fry for 2 minutes.
6. Add oyster sauce.
7. Pour in 300ml water from step 2. Bring for a boil and leave it simmering for 2 minutes.
8. Add in corn starch mixture to thicken. Dish out and serve hot with rice.